Manage the maintenance and repair of the hotel buildings, grounds and contents in a cost-effective manner and ensure the efficient and safe operation of all plant and equipment.
1. Organizes and administers the Engineering Department, ensuring that effective work control and productivity are maintained, whilst using every means to increase productivity and reduce costs. Periodically assists in the reviewing of the manning figures, keeping a balance between under- and over-staffing so that all team members are fully occupied during their hours on duty, whilst balancing the need for overtime and the use of outside contractors accordingly.
2. Directs and supervises the implementation of an effective Trouble Report system, together with other day-to-day works of general maintenance and repair to ensure that the building, its contents and its surroundings are at all times in first-class condition throughout. Identifies and arranges for all work necessary to maintain a high standard whether mechanical, electrical or civil, to be completed in good time.
3. Ensures that a full preventative maintenance schedule exists for every item of mechanical and electrical plant or equipment, including that of other departments such as laundry, kitchen, swimming etc. As well as major plant such as lifts, chillers, boilers, cooling towers, air handling units and fans, pumps, automatic control systems, etc. Incorporates these schedules into the development of a comprehensive preventative maintenance scheme; directs and supervises the work of his team members and outside contractors in its continuous implementation.
4. Ensures that all items of plant and equipment are operated in a safe and efficient manner, during the periods required and in accordance with sound engineering practices. Closely monitors the effects of servicing and maintenance on their condition wherever possible. Ensuring that all records of maintenance and testing are kept.
5. The Chief Engineer is responsible for negotiating terms and conditions for all manufacturers /agents and service contracts with the assistance of the Controller. The Chief Engineer is responsible for budgeting and financial planning for the Engineering Department. Must be aware of the hotels financial targets and have a commercial awareness of the financial plan. The Engineer is directly responsible to the Manager of the hotel, for operation of the department according to the departmental financial plan and implement savings wherever possible without detriment to safety or guest satisfaction.
6. Co-ordinates and supervises the work of service contractors to ensure that the terms of all such contracts for major plant and systems are fully implemented. Ensures that all outside contractors and in-house team member’s carry out their work, in accordance with and adherence to company, local and regional health and safety at work criteria.
7. Prepares lists of spare parts and materials required for the continued correct functioning of all items of plant and equipment, ensuring that an adequate stock is maintained. Organizes and supervises Engineering Storeroom, in implementing and efficient stores/inventory control.
8. Assists in assessing the long-term requirements of the hotel, including overhaul/rehabilitation programs or renewal/replacement works, etc. In conjunction with the Vice President, Engineering and Real Estate Department if applicable, advises the General Manager accordingly and assists in drawing up a comprehensive 4 or 5 year capital plan. Is responsible for remaining up-to-date with the latest technology and advising management on the potential impact on the hotel.
9. Studies and arranges for the implementation of all Health and Safety, Energy Control and Management directives.
10. Keeps up-to-date records of all test certificates/licenses such as, but not limited to, electrical tests, pressure vessels, fire systems and panels, etc. Assists the Human Resources Manager in planning all team member-training needs for Fire / Health / Safety and Security issues where applicable.
11. Completes and provides all regular reports and statistics required by the Area/Regional VP Engineering. Maintains an efficient record/filing system as necessary.
12. Maintains contact with local authorities such as Fire Department, Electricity Supply Company, Water Supply Authority, City Building and Health Inspectors, etc., to ensure that all requirements are being complied with and that assistance or advice will be readily available whenever required.
13. Studies and periodically reviews the terms of all-utility supply contracts, etc. to determine whether these are the most advantageous that can be obtained.
14. Holds regular meetings for Energy Conservation, Environmental issues, Fire Training (if applicable), Team member Communications and Health and Safety. Also have frequent meetings with other Department Heads to review the current performance of their equipment and in the case of the Purchasing Manager, to review the current status of all Purchase Requests and Orders to ensure that all items are being progressed as necessary.
15. With the assistance of the Human Resources Manager, selects the Engineers for employment within the department. Recommends and organizes where necessary, the training and development of any member of the Department with potential for advancement, either in-house or with another hotel, or outside agency.
16. Makes frequent inspection tours, to check condition of building and equipment, and to monitor work progress generally.
17. Locally administers all capital projects with assistance from the Vice President, Engineering and/or Real Estate Department (RED) where applicable. Completes and submits reports as directed by the RED. The Chief Engineer must be familiar with all policies affecting the hotel, in particular the AA-10 policy, for special projects.
18. Adhere to the hotel’s security and emergency policies and procedures.
19. To ensure that all team members have a complete understanding of and adhere to the Hotel’s Team member Rules and Regulations.
20. The management reserves the right to change / extend this job description if necessary at any point of time during her / his employment.
21. Carries out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.